Thursday, January 28, 2016

Bubby's Cheese Blintzes



Cheese blintzes are one of my Bubby's specialties! Every year for Shavuous she makes a pan for all her grandchildren, at least in my family. They are seriously deeeelicious!! 

I don't like to be left in the dark when it comes to something good, so I asked my Bubby for the recipe. She shrugged and said, "I can't just give you the recipe. you have to watch and see how it's done." I didn't argue (no one argues with Bubby), and we set a cheese blintz making date! To give my grandmother credit, making the actual crepes was a bit tricky, so I'm happy I got to watch. Plus, what wonderful Bubby and granddaughter bonding time we had! 



If you are the type that needs a hearty dinner, I would not recommend these as a main to your meal. They are more of an enhancer. My sister serves them as the starter to her dairy shavuous meal every year, and this year, I did the same! Now that I am away from my Bubby, I was glad to have the recipe this past Shavuos. 

(And by the way, I took these pictures this past shavuos, but only got around to posting it now! Better early this year than never!)




Bubby's Cheese Blintzes:

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: It is time consuming making the crepes, like 30+ minutes
Yields: Around 20 

Crepes/blintzes: 

Utensils: 1 small-medium frying pan

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 (7 ounce) cup water
1 (7 ounce) cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
2 (7 ounce) cups flour 
1 tablespoon sugar 
PAM

Directions:
Using a hand-held mixer, mix the eggs, water, and milk, and salt together. Add the oil. And mix in the flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix in the sugar.

Spray your small frying pan with PAM and ladle a generous spoonful of the batter on the pan. The whole pan should be covered. Cook on medium flame. Flip after around 2-3 minutes. Let cook another 30 seconds to a 1 minute and transfer to plate. You'll get the hang of how much batter to put on the frying pan and how long to cook it for the more you go. Make sure to PAM the frying pan in between each blintz. My Bubby uses a bowl of oil and a brush, and brushes the frying pan with oil in between each blintze, so that's another option. Also, to expedite the process, you could use 2 small frying pans, and make 2 blintzes simultaneously, which is what my Bubby did as well. 



Cheese Mixture:   
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 package farmer cheese 

Directions:
Mix ingredients together. Place a spoonful in middle of each blintz and roll it up, placing the seamless side upward. You could also roll it like a wrap, folding 2 parts in, and rolling it. I simply roll it.  





Serving option: Serve with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top, and cut-up fruit and/or berries



No comments:

Post a Comment